Five Best Good for You Foods
(From Eating Well’s Nutrition Editor, Brierley Wright)
God is ever bountiful. He has blessed us to live in Iowa, where we can enjoy gardening and shopping at farmer’s markets. Here are five good for you foods to enjoy at this time of the year.
1. Green Beans: High fiber foods like green beans can help you prevent weight gain and even promote weight loss-without dieting. Also try: Raspberries, Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), strawberries.
2. Salmon: The Omega 3 fatty acids in oily fish can boost your skin’s defenses against UV damage. Even as little as five ounces can help prevent the development of precancerous skin lesions. Also try: Tuna.
3. Watermelon: Eating foods that are full of water, such as B (92%) helps keep you satisfied on fewer calories. Watermelon is a good source of Vitamin C and lycopene. Also try: cucumbers (95%), Salad greens (90%), and strawberries (91%).
4. Blueberries: Eating just under a cup of mixed berries daily for 8 weeks can increase your levels of “good” HDL cholesterol and lower blood pressures. Also try: Red raspberries and strawberries.
5. Tomatoes: Eating more Vitamin C-rich foods- such as tomatoes- may be the secret to smoother skin. It may lower the risk of wrinkles and age-related dryness in middle aged women. Also helps protect against UV rays. Also try: Oranges, strawberries, and broccoli.