Smile Part 2
You can keep your teeth for your lifetime. Here are some things you can do to
maintain a healthy mouth and strong teeth. Tips for adults to keep the beautiful
smile God gave them.
- Drink fluoridated water if possible and brush with fluoride toothpaste.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush teeth thoroughly and floss to remove dental plaque.
- Visit your dentist on a regular basis, even if you have no natural teeth or have dentures.
- Do not use any tobacco products. If you smoke or chew tobacco, quit.
- Limit alcoholic drinks.
- If you have diabetes, work to maintain control of the disease. This will decrease risk for other complications, including gum disease.
- If your medication causes dry mouth, ask your doctor for a different medication that may not cause this condition. If dry mouth cannot be avoided, drink plenty of water, chew sugarless gum, and avoid tobacco products and alcohol. Specific products are available to help with dry mouth.
- See your doctor or a dentist if you have sudden changes in taste and smell.