NO MORE EXCUSES: YOU NEED A FLU VACCINE
According to Dr. Patty Quinlisk, the state epidemiologist, influenza is one of the top 10 killers in Iowa. What a sad statistic!
Here are some facts about the influenza and the “flu” vaccine.
1. The flu vaccine is safe, does not cause the flu, and can protect the ones you love. Millions of people have been vaccinated for more than 50 years.
2. Even healthy people need a flu vaccine. Influenza is a contagious disease which affects the lungs and can lead to serious illness, including pneumonia.
3. The most common side effects of the flu vaccine are mild. People vaccinated with the flu shot may feel achy and may have a sore arm. These effects are usually mild and last only 1-2 days.
4. Older people, young children, pregnant women and people with medical conditions, like asthma, diabetes, heart and lung disease are at especially high risk from the flu. Even kids, teens, and active healthy adults can get very sick form the flu and spread it to others.
5. The best time to get vaccinated is before the flu begins to spread. It takes two weeks for the vaccine to provide full protection.
6. Flu vaccines can’t give you the flu. Each year different strains of the flu are chosen to be included in the vaccine. However, it does not provide the same protection for everyone.
7. Don’t avoid getting a flu vaccine because you don’t like shots. The very minor pain of a flu shot is nothing compared to the suffering caused by the flu.
8. You need to get a flu vaccine every year. Flu viruses are constantly changing and over the course of a year the immune protection from the vaccine declines.
Protect the loves you love (and even the ones you don’t), get a flu vaccine.